I love a good summer drink… but it’s gotta be refreshing. I don’t know about you but I hate when I order a fruity drink and it’s super sugary and sweet. I think that’s probably why I love Moscow Mules? The perfect kick of lime and ginger makes the perfect taste but nothing too overwhelming. That’s also why I love this summer drink – The Basil Grapefruit Smash.
A few weeks ago I went out for drinks with a few friends to a bar here in Charlotte (in NoDa for my local readers!) called Growlers Pour House. Charlotte restaurants always seem to have amazing craft cocktails, so I decided on the Basil Grapefruit Smash and I was so mesmerized watching the bartender make my drink. He cut the grapefruit right in front of me too – so I knew it was going to be good. Personally, I’m a huge grapefruit fan. Even if you’re not… I think you should try this drink. It’s so refreshing and has just enough flavor without being overwhelming.
Photos by Paige Winn Photo
- Fresh Grapefruit
- Fresh Basil
- Simple Syrup (bought at my local grocery store)
- Soda Water
HOW I MADE THE DRINK:
- Add half a slice of grapefruit, a few leaves of basil, and a few drops of simple syrup to your glass and muddle with your muddler tool for a minute or two. This juices the grapefruit and gets out the flavors from the basil.
- Add ice on top of your muddled ingredients.
- Pour in about 1.5 – 2 ounces of Vodka.
- Top with soda water & stir gently.
- Garnish with Grapefruit.
What do you think? Would you try this cocktail? You can also see one of the bartenders at Growlers Pour House making the drink on their instagram.